There’s nothing quite like your first ride on one of the 318 curves of the Tail of the Dragon—one of the most famous roads surrounded by the Smokey Mountains of TN and the Cherokee National Forest in NC—at least not until you have your first wreck. Assuming you survived, not having the proper insurance and the right coverage could leave you with more than just a wrecked bike. So, before you hit the pavement, take a look at the best motorcycle insurance for police officers.
We’re going to go out a limb here and say, you probably knew Progressive was number one for motorcycle insurance. In fact, Progressive ranks at the top for most insurance options. And if you tell them you’re a police officer you can save a little bit of cash. Again, make sure you tell them because it’s not something that’s advertised very well. Just be prepared to show them proof, and you’ll be saving money in no time. Along with that, they offer a ton of discounts, especially if you can bundle with homeowner’s insurance and car insurance.
- When you renew your policy, you can get a discount—if you never filed a claim
- LoJack® devices give you a discount
- If you paid all your premiums on time, you can get a discount
- Homeowners get a discount
- They offer total loss coverage
- Full replacement cost is available and no depreciation for parts
- Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts are replaced with OEM parts and custom parts are repaired with custom parts
- There are several negative reviews about their customer service
- They take a long time to finish claims and work hard to try and prove they don’t owe you anything
- They use your credit score to determine your payment, if you have a bad credit score, you will pay more (This is standard, but not everyone puts as much emphasis on it)
2. Dairlyand Auto-Cycle Insurance
Dairyland provides Collision, Comprehensive, and Bodily Injury, as well as Replacement Cost, Rental Reimbursement, Roadside Assistance, and Optional/Special Equipment coverage. They also offer discounts to anyone who’s taken a safety riding course. Keep in mind, however, Dairyland Motorcycle insurance is a better option for infrequent riders. So, if you’re always working odd shifts, over time, going to court, and pretty much have no free-time to ride, this could be an option for you. However, If you’re out riding every weekend or using your bike as primary transportation, you’re better off going with a different provider.
- They offer full coverage, including collision and comprehensive
- They offer coverage in 42 states
- They cover passengers
- Homeowners get a discount
- They have a pay-as-you-go option
- Several reviews saying their customer service isn’t very good
- More expensive than other reputable motorcycle insurance companies if you’re a frequent rider
3. Harley-Davidson Insurance
If you’re looking for motorcycle insurance, why not get it from the people who know all about motorcycles? If you’re cruising the streets on your brand new Harley, with genuine Harley-Davidson parts, they’ll replace them with those same parts. So, unlike some companies who’ll give you the cheapest version of what you need, H-D will do exact replacements. H.O.G members also get a discount, as well as anyone who goes through their riding academy. We’d also like to mention, Harley-Davidson makes motorcycles meant specifically for law enforcement personnel and they give discounts on their bikes for your dedication to our communities. We simply like the fact that they’re so pro-LE.
- They’ve been in the market since 1903
- They have an A+ rating
- They offer a multitude of discounts
- You can’t save money by bundling
- If you want minimum coverage, you can find it at a better price elsewhere
Markel is an insurance company that wants your business, so much that they’ll give you a discount just for switching over to them from a different provider. They also offer customized coverage, and since they specialize in motorcycle insurance rather than home, auto, motorcycle, renters, etc., they claim they’re able to serve you more quickly. And since we know your time is valuable as a police officer or first responder, that’s a pretty big deal.
- They offer accident forgiveness
- They offer Roadside assistance
- You can save up to 35% with discounts
- They offer mechanical breakdown coverage
- Markel offers a lot of discounts, but without them, things can get pretty pricey
- Several complaints have been filed about Markel not providing the coverage they promised